Friday 20 May 2016

Temps de Flors

This week I’m back bringing some very bad news. On Thursday the 5th of May I received a Whatsapp message from my mum telling me that my granny was dying and that I had to come home for a week. I panicked and went back to my host family’s house, telling them the news. I then went to the school to ask permission to go home and then return a week later. I have just over a month until I finish up here, so as you can imagine it wasn’t the best time to come home. However this was family and it was important.

On Friday morning I woke up early and soon was in the car with Ines and Alex heading to Barcelona Airport. The traffic was horrendous and I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to make it for my flight. Not to worry though as the traffic was soon over and the airport was in sight. Ines dropped me off just outside Terminal 1. After a swift goodbye I pulled my case along to the check in desk and dropped it off. It then slid along the conveyer belt where I would not see it again until I got to Aberdeen.
With a sigh of relief I made it through the awkward security line. When I finally got a seat I heard my phone buzzing and swiftly answered it. It was my mum on the other line breaking the news that my granny had died just before midnight on Thursday. My heart sank. I tried so hard to come home and see her one last time. It was too late. I choked up and tried my hardest to hold back the tears in a busy airport. Managing to withhold my emotions I bought some food and a drink of water for the plane. Soon it was time to board and as fast as you can say KLM (other airlines are available) I was on my first flight of the day.
When I arrived at Amsterdam Schiphol, my phone was flooded with condolences. It took time to process than when I got home I would never be able to talk to or see my granny again. Not in this lifetime anyway.
A few hours passed and then it was time to board for Aberdeen. I felt very happy as I heard familiar Scottish accents all around me. It’s very frightening being in a place where languages and accents are unfamiliar, as I’m sure people who have moved abroad are aware. An hour later and I touched down in Aberdeen, where I was greeted by my friend Reuben who works near the airport. My mum then came to collect me and we had a coffee, where she explained what had happened with granny.
It was a long week, as the funeral was not until the following Thursday (12th). I spent time with my dad’s brother, his wife and my five year old cousin Ellie. My grandad spent a few nights at our house until he was ready to adapt to living alone. The funeral service was lovely, it was handled with the utmost care and compassion. I then had to help bury my granny (it was the first time my sister and I had done this). I managed to do it, but it’s not something I would do again in a hurry. I’m still going through a grieving process, as it will take a while, but I’m comforted by the fact that I’ll see my granny again someday. Not in this life, but in the next.

I returned to Barcelona on Saturday and took the train to Sils, where Ines met me at the station. After having a meal at Bonmati, I was full and went to bed straight after as I had spent fifteen hours travelling on trains, planes and cars.

I had arrived just in time to see the last day of the Temps de Flors. The flower festival takes place every year at the beginning of May. The city of Girona is decorated with decadent flower displays and tourists from all over Spain and the world come to visit it. Ines and I visited the festival and it was packed! The narrow streets were full of people. However it was worth it and it was a reminder that even in times of sorrow and grieving you can see the beauty that life has to offer.
As usual I have attached photos with this blog. I hope you enjoy looking at these photos as I did taking them.
Until next time,
Rachel xx








No comments:

Post a Comment